Apr 19, 2011

Creamy Colored Candlesticks (or Eggsticks?)

This past weekend, my daughter and I decided that we'd wake up early on Saturday and do a little treasure hunting at a few yard sales.  I think she was more excited that we were going to stop off at Panera Bread (by the look on her face, I think a blueberry bagel, cream cheese and organic milk in a box is her idea of the perfect breakfast).

Being new to Texas, I had high hopes for my first yard sale venture.... you know the saying "everything's bigger in TX" so I was hoping for huge yard sales with lots of furniture.  Well, they weren't huge like I expected, but as we strolled through the neighborhood one thing caught my eye... black, metal candlesticks.  Ten dollars later they were in the truck and we were on our way home.

Here are the beauties...

Candlesticks

Now to make them mine... first, I cleaned them by hand sanding them very lightly, then wiping them with a cloth.

Candlesticks

Candlesticks

I thought they'd look better lightened from black to creamy-white, so I got out RustOleum Painter's Choice spray paint.  RustOleum's Heirloom White is usually my first choice, the color is the perfect blend of white and cream, so it's not too bright.  I laid out drop cloths and started spraying (if you're wondering how these candlesticks are standing upright on grass, I have a wooden board underneath the drop cloth).

Candlesticks

When I spray paint, I do several very, very light coats of paint... it prevents paint drips and the outcome is smooth and even.  Here's the first coat...

Candlesticks

And after about six or seven coats later, here's the new-looking creamy-white candlesticks.

Candlesticks

Our fireplace has been empty, blank and kinda boring since we moved in the house... I thought these candlesticks would be the perfect, temporary decoration and since Easter is this weekend I placed glittery eggs inside, instead of candles.  Would that make them eggsticks?

Candlesticks

Candlesticks

What's your latest yard sale find?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...