Feb 28, 2011

Chairs... and Vinyl? Or Maybe Slipcovers?

This was the dining room in our house in Virginia.... I loved having pink in the room (I always love having pink in a room... like here and a hint here).  Some of the chairs around this table have a floral fabric for the top and a striped fabric for the seat, both made of a cotton and linen blend. 


The top/back floral fabric slips over the chairs and comes off for easy cleaning.  See those pretty taupe and white stripes on the seat?  Yeah, well I stapled that fabric to the chairs... mistake #1.


And... they're not so pretty anymore... you see, I picked the beautiful striped fabric because it was going in the dining room and my kids rarely eat in the dining room, especially on these chairs.  I thought I was safe.  Then we moved to TX and I thought I would be smart by moving the dining set, instead of our small kitchen set, into the rental to give us more space at the table.  Mistake #2.

My three preschoolers have eaten on these chairs three times a day for the past three months.  I'll spare you and keep the messy chair pictures for myself, but this time around I'll be recovering the seats in a child-proof fabric, like vinyl, or making a slipcover (like the top) so I can wash them after meals.  Makes for an easy clean!  And, there's nothing more that I love than an easy clean!

With my love of pink, I'm looking at a vinyl for the seats like this from J& O Fabrics to go with the top/back floral fabric...


Or give a completely new look using fabric with bursting colors to make into slipcovers (for the back and seat of the chair), something like this from Fabric.com ....


A big burst of fun in the dining room!!!  I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do with the chairs to make them more kid-friendly!

2 comments:

  1. Oooowwww. Hhahaha. I can just imagine the kids spilling their pizza or sitting on their fruit on the chairs. I love these chairs as well. The color combinations you picked were perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaahaaa.... yeah, that's about right! You know the kids pretty well :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...